Area Manager – Leasehold Property Management – Retirement Sector
Permanent , | £33k to £37k Inc Benefits 37000
Job Posted: 2014-09-26 26 September 2014 Closing date for applications: 26 November 2014
This company has been providing dedicated leasehold property management services to a diverse portfolio of developments across the South East for the last 40 years. They are particularly active in the retirement sector, owning a number of developments and managing others on behalf of clients.
They are currently looking to recruit an experienced individual to run a group of these developments throughout the south east. You will be responsible for providing an efficient and customer-friendly management service to all leaseholders/tenants on the developments owned or managed by the company on behalf of their clients. Specific duties will include the following:
- To organise and deliver a high quality management service for the developments you are responsible for, ensuring compliance with tenancy and lease terms, statutory requirements and good practice, e.g. the ARHM Code of Practice.
- To ensure that the company fully adheres to its legal responsibilities as landlord, where applicable.
- Where the company acts as managing agent, to establish a close working relationship with the client to ensure that they deliver all aspects of the management agreement and that the client is properly advised on their legal and other responsibilities.
- To visit each development regularly in line with management agreements, and in all cases not less than once every 8 weeks.
- To develop and maintain good working relations with Residents’ Associations and to assist in establishing them where they do not currently exist.
- To ensure that developments are kept in good repair, and that their appearance is up to date and welcoming. (as a guideline they should resemble a 5* hotel) To organise programmes of cyclical maintenance in conjunction with the appointed surveyor (if any).
- To be familiar with the stock condition survey for each development managed and to review it with residents at each budget meeting. To have key plans in place to ensure each development is proactively managed.
- To arrange, implement and monitor service contracts for lifts, alarm systems, monitoring services, fire equipment, gardening, cleaning and window cleaning etc.
- To check and authorise for payment all invoices/accounts received in connection with management expenditure, in line with internal payment procedures. Where necessary personally inspect work carried out before authorisation.
- To have a good understanding of each development’s financial standing through the monitoring of expenditure and income.
- To prepare and present annual estate expenditure budgets to tenants & lessees. To control estate expenditure to ensure that costs are contained within budgets and to alert the Head of Estates early to any significant overspends.
- To present audited accounts to lessees within 6 weeks of their production, unless otherwise agreed and to liaise with Finance Department to ensure that financial queries from customers are answered within their core service standards
- To consult tenants and lessees in accordance with law and good practice on housing management matters and on all expenditure above prescribed limits (s.20 consultation).
- To monitor the collection of service charges, water charges and other charges, and to collect arrears in accordance with their approved procedure.
- To supervise the work of Estate Managers and other estate staff to ensure that they carry out effectively the duties required of them, and to give guidance and support as necessary.
- To work with the HR Manager on the recruitment of Estate Managers and other estate staff, ensuring that the roles for which you are recruiting are reviewed on a timely basis and continue to meet the needs of the development they are for.
- To ensure that all estate based staff undergo a full induction programme, to identify any other training needs and liaise with the HR Manager to ensure that this is followed through.
- To be alert to any potential issues of under-performance and to act swiftly to deal with any such issues.
- To undertake annual appraisals for all staff that are line managed, to set realistic targets and identify areas for development.
- Where there are residential posts on developments to ensure that an annual inspection of the accommodation is carried out, identifying any repairs and general redecoration required.
- In general to implement and adhere to all the company’s HR policies and procedures for line managers.
- Where appropriate to maintain a waiting list of interested tenants and meet prospective tenants to explain the terms of the tenancy agreement and the management service provided. To ensure that the lettings policy of the estate is adhered to.
- To carry out pre-let and pre-purchase interviews with tenants and leaseholders. (where there are no estate based managers to do so) Assist with all aspects of the work in connection with lettings and resales, as may be required from time to time, including responding to solicitors enquires.
- To ensure that inspections of dwellings becoming vacant are inspected, that redecorations and repairs required are specified, estimates obtained and work carried out.
- To be aware of any developments where there are a high level of vacant units, to identify the reason for this and to formulate a plan to address this.
- To be prepared to accept telephone calls out of normal working hours in urgent situations and to take whatever emergency action is necessary in the circumstances.
- To understand and adhere to all the company’s policies and procedures for Estate Services, and to contribute to their development.
- To stay informed about relevant legislation and best practice, attending necessary training as required.
- To provide a monthly report and KPI information to the Head of Estates.
Any other reasonable duties that may from time to time be required by the Head of Estates.
Key Result Areas:
- Your performance will be judged primarily according to the way in which the following key results are achieved.
- Tenants & Leaseholders (and clients, where working as managing agent) have a high regard for our service as being unusually responsive and cost effective and that this is reflected in the annual satisfaction survey.
- Staff for which you are responsible are well motivated, supervised, trained and supported and that this is reflected in staff surveys.
- You participate actively in the management team and contribute to the development of new policies and initiatives.
- You support the enhancement of the company’s reputation as an outstanding service provider and assists in winning new management opportunities.
The majority of developments to be managed are based in the Thames Valley, so ideally the successful candidate will live in one of these counties. This role would suit a warm and friendly individual who has the ability to communicate effectively with retired people, and it is essentially a Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm role, with quite a bit of time being spent travelling around the area. The basic salary available will depend on the individual but is likely to be in the region of £32,500, along with a car allowance of £4,000 per annum and other benefits.
For further information on this exciting career opportunity, please apply on line now via this web page and we will get back to you immediately. Alternatively, please feel free to contact us in confidence on 01784 451464, or email us: email@example.com